The West Rutherford HOA is a private, not-for-profit association operated for the long-term benefit of its member residents. We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, elected by fellow residents at the Annual General Meeting.
Membership is automatic and mandatory for owners of all properties within the areas designated “Traditional Neighbourhood Design” (see The Community).
The West Rutherford HOA owns various neighbourhood amenities, maintenance of which is paid for through membership fees. Restrictive covenants and Encumbrances are registered on all lot titles within these boundaries.
Where the name “Rutherford” came from …
Rutherford takes its name from Alexander Cameron Rutherford (1857-1941) who was the first premier of Alberta. Creating an extensive pedestrian network throughout the neighbourhood was an important design principle. The utility corridor that diagonally runs the length of the neighbourhood provides an important pedestrian spine which connects the various walkways to activity nodes throughout the community. Virginia Park Woodland is dispersed to provide focal points throughout Rutherford and increase pedestrian connectivity. Prior to urban development Rutherford was a predominantly agricultural area with some country residential land use.